Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm waking up

Hello New World,
So I wasn't really in a coma, but that's certainly what it felt like. I've been living in the past for the last few years completely blind to what's happening in the world around me.

Here's what tipped me off: Just a few weeks ago I was at Blockbuster video renting something. Later that day I raced back with that crappy something hoping to exchange it rather than having to hold onto it for a whole week; essentially wasting my money. To make a long story short, there was drama, the customer service sucked, and I left empty handed as the store clerk remarked "We don't guarantee you'll like what you get." So I tossed my Blockbuster card in the trash and figured I'd try this new thing every one's talking about... Netflix.

Sigh, thank you Blockbuster for the slap in the face. If it weren't for that bad experience, I'd have never tried something new. And surely, everyone reading this knows what Netflix is... it's the future. Getting exactly what you want, when you want, the way you want. Now to keep from sounding like this is some lame ad, I'll get to the point. The year 2010 was all about me getting slapped in the face and having to adapt to the "world of the new."

Making movies is stressful as Hell, and I've just completed my second feature "Pantheon Black." That's 5 years of restless nights wondering how and even if I'd ever finish the film. Finally, production wraps, and my masterpiece is ready to go out into the world. Little did I know how much the independent film industry had changed over the last few years. "What do you mean I have to promote my own film, isn't that the distributor's job?" I asked foolishly. So I spent the next few months penniless and exhausted, drained from the film making process and completely unable to take the necessary steps to get my art out to the public. Major slap in the face.

Like Netflix, I'd heard of blogging. Many of my filmmaker buddies said it's the best way to promote your work. And earlier today I made the decision to get off my sorry ass and start telling the world that I'm here; not just to promote my art, but to stop being depressed and pitiful. I'm transforming the endless hours of pacing in the livingroom and stressing over my future into writing an honest critique of myself for the public to see and judge; something I'd never have considered in the past. I guess that's my new year's resolution; to come out from beneath this rock I've been hiding under and join the rest of the world.

I've thought about it a lot, and realised that regardless of my financial situation, I can't stop making films. It's the only way that I truely express myself. So for my next movie, I'll be approaching things differently. Guess I'll be setting up a twitter account next.

No comments:

Post a Comment